The importance of hiring a professional carpet cleaning companyAugust 23, 2016
5 proven tips for general carpet careMarch 29, 2017
Keeping the carpet in your home in a good state is paramount. Not only are carpets one of the focal points of the room, but the continuous accumulation of dust and dirt can leave them in a state of mess, and transform them into a breeding ground for bacteria and germs. In that regard, regular carpet cleaning is necessary for health reasons.
Unfortunately, carpet cleaning is likely not among your favourite chores. It takes time and needs to be done on a regular basis. For this reason, you need to implement proven tips and cleaning methods that will make your job of carpet maintenance a little easier. Here is a quick rundown of the carpet cleaning tips you should implement in your routine:
- Make vacuuming a routine – cleaning your carpets with a vacuum cleaner is mandatory. That is the least you can do to keep dust and dirt in check. Invest in a good vacuum cleaner and hoover the carpets every week or two at maximum. Else, they will accumulate a significant amount of dust and dirt within their fibres. Apart from the worn look, this causes, there may also be bad odours and a tonne of germs. You wouldn’t want to see your children rolling on the carpets, would you?
- Resort to steam cleaning now and then – as hoovering the carpet is in most cases not enough to eliminate all spoils, you have to consider more specialised and proven methods. Steam cleaning, also known as hot water extraction, is a process which injects hot water and cleaning detergent into the fibres of the carpet, and then sucks it out. The result is more than satisfactory. You should clean your carpets this way at least twice a year.
- Don’t rub stains – one of the most common mistakes people make when trying to clean a stain from their carpets is to rub it with a brush or cloth. The only thing you’d be doing is cause it to set deeper into the fibres, becoming nearly impossible to remove. The technique you should be using is known as blotting – applying gentle pressure on the stain with a soft cloth – dry or damp with a specially formulated cleaning solution.
Photo Credit: http://diy.stackexchange.com
- Always test cleaning products before using – some cleaning products don’t react with carpet fibres in a pleasant manner; some can, in fact, damage your carpets. To avoid this scenario, you should always test a product on a small and hidden area of the carpet. That will tell you if it is safe to proceed with cleaning.
- Clean under furniture – just because an area of your carpet does not see any traffic doesn’t mean that there is no dust and dirt accumulation. Now and then you need to move furniture around and hoover underneath. Also, don’t forget corners and crevices.
These carpet cleaning tips will serve you well in your mission to keep the carpets of your home in presentable state at all times. Follow them, and you will see just how notable of a difference they make.
© Professional Carpet Cleaning London